Super Easy, Awesome Pizza

So lately, I've been on a bread making kick. It started when I finally got around to trying the no-knead bread recipe from the NYTimes. It's here. And it's good, as long as you plan a little bit ahead. So far, I've tried the original recipe, one with rosemary and thyme, and one with whole wheat flour. The whole wheat flour one was the least, shall we say, delicious, if only because it was really dense. But hey, it's good for cleaning out the system, I'm sure.

Last night I tackled pizza dough. I was not quite through the NYTimes Sunday magazine, when I came across the Eat/Memory article they always have near the end. It was for a pizza that the author shared with Picasso (yes, as in Pablo) several years ago. I jumped up, found that I had all sorts of stuff on hand for a pizza and went to town. Several hours later, I realized that I never had finished the magazine...sometimes the ADD really kicks in.

Here's my take on the dough they offered and the toppings I threw together:

Super Easy, Awesome Pizza--makes 1, but is easily double-able.

For the dough:

1/2 c. warm water
1/2 packet of yeast
1 c. flour, divided
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine the water, yeast, 1/2 c. flour and sugar in a bowl. Let it sit until it gets foamy/bubbly, about 15-20 minutes. Then add the remaining 1/2 c. flour and salt. (If you have fresh, chopped herbs, this would be a good time to add them, too.) Knead dough briefly on floured surface, then place in oiled bowl and cover for about an hour (I cut it down to 45 minutes).

While the dough is working, slice tomatoes super thin, and press them on a plate between paper towels (to drain them). Earlier this summer, I made a ridiculous amount of basil pesto and froze it in ice cube trays. For this pizza, I used a cube of that as a sauce, but anything you have on hand would work too.

After 45 min-1hour, take the dough out of the bowl, give it another quick knead, toss it back in the oiled bowl and give it another 45 minutes. (Yes, this one requires some patience...and maybe a snack/movie to keep you entertained in the meantime.) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Roll the dough out on a floured surface, then transfer to a baking sheet sprinkled with corn meal. In this case, I spread the pesto on the dough, and topped it with the now dry/drained tomatoes, sliced kalamata olives, and some shredded Romano I had on hand. Crack some fresh ground pepper on there, toss it in the oven, and 12-15 minutes later, you have some serious deliciousness. Boo-yah.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Basil Shrub (aka, the Drinking Vinegar Craze)

Buffalo on the Ceiling, Pancakes on the Floor

A Boozy Dinner with The Pioneer Woman