Goetta Life

Cincinnati. Home to lots of fun things.
The Reds.
Northern Kentucky.
Chili wars (Skyline? Gold Star?).
Ikea and Jungle Jims.
Goetta.


Goetta? If you're like me (and everyone else not from Cincy) you have no idea what that is. It's food (pronounced get-a). More specifically, breakfast meat. Even more specifically, it's German sausage that's mixed with steel-cut oats. This breakfast meat is so popular, there's a Fest built around it every year in Cincy (well, technically, Newport, but you know what I mean. And yes, it's called GoettaFest.)

I had the privilege of attending GoettaFest this year, and it was an eye-opening experience. Goetta is not unlike tofu in it's flexible culinary nature. You can enjoy goetta hogies, goetta "cheesesteaks," goetta dogs, goetta fritters, goetta tacos, goetta brownies...well, you "goetta" the idea. (Sorry, I had to.)

While at G-Fest, I tried the original version (pork), and my Goetta-eating parter-in-breakfast-meat purchased the Hot and Beef varieties to try back here in Columbus. (A future post regarding our tasting is inevitiable.) Note: you can't buy Goetta north of Cincinnati, so to experience this exotic German delicacy, you'll have to drive South for an hour or two. Or come by my house, I've got plenty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Basil Shrub (aka, the Drinking Vinegar Craze)

Buffalo on the Ceiling, Pancakes on the Floor

A Boozy Dinner with The Pioneer Woman