Dewfall, Spirits, and other Shenanigans


Watch out, folks--this post is a rant. I encourage responses.
It has come to my attention* that the Catholic Church, in all of its omniscient power (cue celestial hoards of angels), has sent down a new set of regulations for responses during mass. Thanks to the guys pictured above, Catholics in English speaking countries are now facing a more 'elevated' series of responses and phrases, set to be phased in over the next several years.
For the record, I'm a born and raised Catholic, and still try to make it to mass on a semi-ish-regular basis. While I think I could be considered faithful, I'm not sure you could call me completely dedicated. I have however, been reciting the same things for the past 20-odd years of my life, and, as I think most Catholics will agree, there's a lot of comfort/satisfaction in that. There's a security in being so familiar with the language of the Mass that I don't need to look at the church missal, and can rattle off any response to its appropriate prompt. I like the Catholic mass specifically for its ritual, and the ritual with which I've grown up. Changing all that is like coming home to my parent's house to find they've rearranged all the cupboards and I can't find the coffee mugs.
My bigger concern, however, is that fact that this little linguistic exercise has been years in the making, while the bigger issues of failing church attendance, a shortage of priests, and the Church's unwillingness to acknowledge it's modern flock have been ignored. Frankly, I don't think God gives a hoot if I say "one in being with the Father" or "consubstantial with the Father" in the Creed, and I definitely don't think that those guys in red know his feelings either. It's the same kind of logic used when the powers that be tell me that using birth control will send me to hell, or God really doesn't want women to be priests. God probably doesn't have a preference on the gender of his priests, and I can't imagine that he has a preference on whether priest says "Make holy, therefore, these gifts, we pray, by sending down your Spirit upon them like the dewfall" (DEWFALL?!?!) or the old phrase: "Let your Spirit come upon these gifts, to make them holy." Maybe the church should be spending less time picking adjectives, and more time figuring out a way to be more inclusive.
Finally, just to tie it in to the allegedly "legal" aspect of this blog--aren't the Cardinals just adding legalese to the mass? Why complicate the language (passive instead of active, 3 syllable words instead of 2, extra modifiers) unnecessarily? The legal field has been working hard for the past several years to simplify the language of the law, in an attempt to demystify it to the layperson. Then again, maybe that is their goal--lets keep it mysterious. And hell, if they're going to do that, lets just go back to Latin. At least I didn't have that memorized.
Here's the link to the NPR story (that site also has a break down of all the changes):
*Thanks to Subpoena Joe for catching this story--NPR nerds are the best.

Comments

Unknown said…
"Consubstantial" is a friggin sweet word. Although I realize that this is not really your greater point.
Joseph said…
I think that you hit the nail on the head when you talked about this "linguistic exercise" consuming valuable discussion time that could have been applied to more, um, pressing topics, shall we say. The Catholic Church seems content to be playing the part of the old media establishment, failing to realize that subscribers are willing to turn elsewhere for content that more closely matches their own circumstance. At this point, all Catholicism has going for it is the familiarity of tradition. It would be like the New York Times deciding to forgo having an internet version of its publication and instead opting to try a new font that presented a more dignified text.

Lay people: "Gay marriage? Or how about just gay rights? Birth control? Abortion rights? Women priests? Married priests? Sexual abuse? More democratic leadership of the church?"

Church hierarchs: "Sorry! We're really busy contemplating whether dewfall or raindrop is more apropos. We'll get back to you! Mox, promittemus."

Maybe their empty pocketbooks and pews will teach them a lesson in priorities.
LeXXicon said…
and this is just another reason for me to continue not going to church. :)
Roamless Hudson said…
I'm not one to tell the Church what to do -- it's been around much longer than me and will be kicking long after I've kicked my last -- but this dewfall stuff is no good. Let's do Latin before this.

Really, though, as long as I'm not expected to hold people's hands at mass (unless it's a fine lady's hand), I'm perfectly content.

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Basil Shrub (aka, the Drinking Vinegar Craze)

Buffalo on the Ceiling, Pancakes on the Floor

A Boozy Dinner with The Pioneer Woman