Uhhh hello......hot dogs...nachos...peanuts...brats... and plenty o' beer....is there any other reason to go to a game? (I mean besides watching the sport) hee! hee!
Thanks to a tip from fellow food writer and friend, Libby from Cooks Like She Talks , Shawnie (of Manges! Mangi! ) and I were invited to a cheese tasting hosted by NYC's famous Murray's Cheese Shop. Anyone who spends any time with us knows Shawnie and I are suckers for a good creamy brie or a pungent, tangy blue -- and have driven 13 hours one way for a cheesy experience (see our road trip to Rhode Island last summer). A quick trek across town to meet the Murray's team and savor their wares was a no-brainer. Murray's , if you're not familiar, is New York City's oldest cheese shop, founded by Murray Greenberg in 1940. Over the years, Murray's developed a reputation as a premier cheesemonger, featuring a rotation of over 300 cheeses and their very own aging caves below their main store in Greenwich Village. More recently, they have been building a partnership with regional grocery stores to share their love of cheese with the whole nation, s...
It has been EIGHT years since I've posted anything on this blog. The name doesn't really make sense any more (it's a long story), but we'll deal with that later. I needed to put some thoughts down on paper and share them, but LinkedIn only allows 1300 characters in a post. So, hello, and no, this post is not about food. This morning, I attended a CLE training about improving workplace civility and respect as a means of preemptively managing sexual harassment and workplace bullying. The speaker, Fran Sepler , offered a powerful and though-provoking presentation, with a great deal more nuance and detail than I'm sharing. I had a couple big take-aways/reminders (I took six pages of notes!!), ones that weren't really about sexual harassment at all, but about the value and need for civility and respect in the workplace. Hopefully, this will resonate with you, and apologies to Fran for my attempt to (poorly) summarize her information-laden talk. Did you ...
Drinking vinegars, or shrubs, are all the rage these days. Shrubs are fruit infused vingegars sweetened with sugar, and they are delicious mixed with some soda water or any given liquor. Shrubs have been around on the fancy-cocktail circuit for a while (I had a shrub cocktail at Nopa in San Franciso in 2009, and they're making a splash at Andy Ricker's Thai street food mecca Pok Pok in Portland, Oregon. His "Pok Pok Som Drinking Vinegars" are so popular that he's producing them for sale outside of his restaurant, and they're now available at Weiland's in Clintonville. On the local blog scene, last week the lovely Rachel Tayse chronicled her creation of a rhubarb shrub on her blog Hounds in the Kitchen . You should check it out. Over at the Ham Sandwich HQ, I had a dozen pounds of strawberries, courtesy of a seriously focused hour of picking at Schacht Family Farms last Saturday. My freezer is not big enough for twelve pounds of frozen str...
Comments
and plenty o' beer....is there any other reason to go to a game? (I mean besides watching the sport) hee! hee!