Taste of Dine Originals: A Food Fiend's Nirvana

One of the tough parts about my part-time "job" as food blogger is trying to keep up with the assorted dining events here in Columbus. ....Yes, you're right, it's exhausting, but I do what I can to keep you all informed.

Last night (courtesy of Mama Ham Sandwich) I had the privilege of attending the Taste of Dine Originals event, proceeds from which went to the Buckeye Ranch. Fifty restaurants, multiple wine merchants, local breweries, and our two fantastic distilleries (Watershed and MiddleWest) supplied small bites and beverages to an enthusiastic and hungry crowd. Every restaurant had at least two, if not more offerings, both savory and sweet.

Some of the stand-out dishes included a gussied-up "S#!t on a Shingle" from Alana's--shredded beef shoulder on a tender, buttery focaccia-type bread, and spicy shrimp and grits from G. Michael's. Basi Italia offered up mini serving spoons of a spring pea puree topped with Parmesan cheese, and the folks at Edible Columbus dished up a creamy spelt risotto. Of course, Pistacia Vera turned out with a table laden with their exquisite macacrons.

One of the most notably different dishes I tried was a very simple micro-greens salad from The Oak Room at The Granville Inn. The salad was tossed in a simple vinaigrette, and accompanied by sweet, raw beets, julienned radishes, and, most intriguing, popcorn shoots. (They're the yellow, petal-looking things in the above picture.) Popcorn shoots are sprouted popcorn seeds that are grown in a dark greenhouse, so that they can't engage in photosynthesis, keeping them a lovely, buttery shade of yellow. They are sweet, crunchy, and do in fact have a slight popcorn flavor. They were really striking, and made for a memorable salad.

Sadly, I did not take nearly enough pictures, nor did I keep track of everything that the restaurants offered, but suffice to say, the food was exceptional, and the Grange Insurance Audubon Center was a beautiful and suiting location. Thanks to all the purveyors for a wonderful evening supporting a great cause. Make a note kids, and save your pennies for next year's event...you don't want to miss it!


Comments

clairehelene7 said…
Oh, I wish I could have gone. You know what's funny? I had that *exact* same salad at the Granville Inn Thursday night. I wonder if the two inns are connected some how? It was good.
You know what, the salad WAS from The Granville Inn...I confused my restaurants, and then forgot to double check my menus! Thanks for the heads up, I corrected it in the post!
Katharine said…
Your photos are spectalcular and we are really pleased to know you enjoyed every morsel! The Basi spring pea puree was my aboslute favorite (well, that and, and and...)love that you got such a great picture of it.
Anonymous said…
I hear a lot about this kind of food, in fact in Best Online Pharmacy there's a brief about the extense menu that you can find in this country, specially if you are talking about vegan and low fat food.

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Basil Shrub (aka, the Drinking Vinegar Craze)

Buffalo on the Ceiling, Pancakes on the Floor

A Boozy Dinner with The Pioneer Woman