Ice Cream Obsessed: Insights on Frozen Deliciousness


It seems that, especially with summer approaching, Columbus is in full blown, can't-get-enough, want-to-see-you-every-night love with ice cream: Mozart's Cafe & Bakery is expanding into the frozen delights biz, Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream has a cookbook coming out in June and her stores are popping up like post-rain mushrooms (a walk up in German Village! an outpost in Chagrin Falls!), and even local criminals want a piece of the action.

So of course, the Ham Sandwich had to try her hand at crafting her own delicious treats. Thanks to my sister and brother-in-law, who got me the ice cream maker attachment for the KitchenAid for Christmas this past year, I've been able to try my hand at a few flavors. And just for the record, while Jeni's is phenominal, and those giant chocolate shards in Graeter's are divine, there is something amazing and deeply satisfying about eating a bowl of your own handcrafted and hand-flavored ice cream.

Having just finished batches No. 3 (White Chocolate Mint) and No. 4 (Brandied Cherry and Chocolate), I feel safe in offering a few suggestions to those who want to give it a shot. Believe it or not, making ice cream is not really that hard (especially if you have a mixer to do all the hard work), it just requires a little time and attention (and planning ahead). So, find a recipe and give it a go. Let me know how it turns out!

Pro Tip 1: You can use 2% milk instead of heavy cream and whole milk, but unsurprisingly, you're going to have a different result. I had a container of 2% on hand and was too lazy to run to the store to get heavy cream for the recipe below, so I used all 2% in the recipe. It turned out fine--thumbs up from the coworkers--but was definitely missing the creamy texture that you get with (duh) cream.

Pro Tip 2: Low, slow, and constant! When you add the eggs/sugar to the heated milk, make sure you keep the burner on low and continuously--seriously, don't stop!--stir the heating custard. Two things will happen: 1) you can actually get a feel for the custard as it thickens, which will help you gauge when to take it off the heat, and 2) you'll keep it from sticking to the bottom. As soon as the custard coats the back of a spoon, pull it off the heat...you can go from custard to curdled pretty quickly. ....And if it does curdle, pour your custard through a strainer to get the lumps out. (Actually, do this no matter what, it's just a good practice with any thing you may want smooth: custard, gravy, sauces, etc.)

Pro Tip 3: When using fruit or large berries, give them a good chop and a toss with some sugar before you add them to the custard. I added whole blackberries to the custard I made on batch No. 1, and ended up with large, frozen chunks of berry in my ice cream. Also, since I didn't macerate them with sugar before I added them, they tended to just-slightly-the-wrong side of tartness. Lesson learned.


Pro Tip 4: If adding anything larger than some chopped up mint leaves, wait until the custard is finished churning, pour it into a bowl, and then fold in your chips/nuts/berries/what have you before letting the "soft serve" set in the freezer. When I dumped the (large, unsweetened) berries into the ice cream maker, it just ended pushing them around the bowl, and did not really distribute them evenly. Maybe this was just due to the small size of my operation, but still, folding everything together in a bowl just makes it easier.

Alrighty, that's what I have so far, but I've no doubt that as this little experiment continues, I'll pick up some other insights...here's to ice cream season!

Comments

Morgan said…
I just got the ice cream attachment and am wanting to try it out! Good tip about the nto burning the custard--my gas range is very hard to keep low so I might have to use a double boiler, but now I know!
Roland said…
I want some of that Brandied Cherry and Chocolate. Sounds delicious.

I've been experimenting with gelato recently. I've got a solid stracciatella!

When it comes to heating up the custard, I just monitor the temperature and turn off the heat at 170. I'm a man of science, what can i say.

I think Rhoads farm is going to have their first strawberries of the year at the North Market tomorrow. :P
Actually, yeah, the double boiler is a good way to go...I think that I did the first time around, and then got lazy.

Roland--Rhoads DID have strawberries, and I picked some up. Not enough for ice cream this week, but maybe next. And that stracciatella sounds delish.
Anonymous said…
Uff looks so so tempting, ice cream is one of my weakness.
xlpharmacy

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Basil Shrub (aka, the Drinking Vinegar Craze)

Buffalo on the Ceiling, Pancakes on the Floor

A Boozy Dinner with The Pioneer Woman