Like a Drunken Eskimo...

...was how I was described by the woman "running" behind me single file on this past weekend's mid-winter Bataan Death March. Thanks, lady.

I was on this ridiculous adventure because my New Year's resolution this year is to run a 5K every month. I figure it'll keep my occupied/in quasi decent shape (providing I actually do some training), and will give me a chance to increase my collection of performance t-shirts.

Last Saturday marked the January race--the Fantastic Frigid 5K, squeeking in on January 31st. It was definitely frigid, but fantastic may be a bit of a stretch.

The course was basically a 3.1 mile run through 6-12" of snow, with a layer of crusty ice on top. My goal, aside from not getting frostbite (it was 8 degrees), was to finish without tripping and falling into said snow. Which, for the record, I accomplished. It did however, take me just under 59:00 (by far the worst time I've ever run a 5K!!!!), since I spent large chunks of time trudging through ankle to mid-calf deep snow. In running shoes. That collected little snowballs in them by the time I was finished. Good times...anyone know a good February race?

This pic was taken at one of the spots where the snow was tamped down into a sort of trail--and somewhere near the middle of mile 1, before I really began questioning my sanity.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Basil Shrub (aka, the Drinking Vinegar Craze)

Buffalo on the Ceiling, Pancakes on the Floor

A Boozy Dinner with The Pioneer Woman