Patio Paella Party!


With almost every issue of Bon Appetit or Saveur that I get, there's always at least one recipe that catches my eye and holds on with an obsessive make-me-right-now quality that doesn't abate until I, in fact, drop all other plans I may have had and set to work.  Last month's Bon Appetit had an article on grilled lobster paella, and before I even finished the story I was already mentally calculating what ingredients I had in my pantry.  I managed to hold off on firing up the grill until a Friday evening, when I was able to wrangle up some friends to come eat it all.  The great thing about paella--especially on the grill--is that you can prep everything before hand, and just add to the pans while you sip cocktails on the patio with your guests.  It doesn't require a great deal of careful attention, in fact, you eventually want to stop touching the paella altogether and let the rice at the bottom of the dish crisp up and caramelize into the delicious socarrat.

The BA article includes a list of authentic ingredients including Valencia or bomba rice and Spanish chorizo.  Since this was a last minute dinner and I didn't put much forethought into ordering specialty ingredients, I used risotto and Mexican chorizo and they worked just as well. (Don't have smoked paprika on hand? Regular paprika and some cayenne, or ground chipotle pepper will work.) Likewise, as much as I love my friends, I wasn't about to drop a wad of cash on lobsters for them (sorry, kids), so I used shrimp, some chicken thighs that I quickly pre-seared on the stove before putting in the paella, and some crab claws that were on sale at the grocery. (Me: "These are on super sale...is there something wrong with them?" Fish guy: "No, but you should probably eat them tonight.")

The exception to this cheapness is saffron--find a reputable spice merchant (Penzey's, North Market Spices) and buy some of the good stuff.  Don't use turmeric, it's not the same.  A little saffron goes a long way, so while it is pricey, it will last you a while.

Use the recipe at the link above as a starting ground for your paella, and remember that short of completely scorching the bottom of the dish, there's very little you can do to screw it up.  Play with ingredients, use what's  on sale or what looks good at the market. Other things that are delicious in paella? Mussels, clams, and crab legs are all great, just nestle them into the rice when you have about 10 minutes left to go.  If you're using chicken, put that it after you add the broth, since it will need to cook a little longer.

Finally, if you're going to go through the effort of making paella, it's only fair to accompany it with a suitable beverage.  Pour a bottle of red wine into a pitcher, add half a cup of sugar, a quarter cup of brandy, a couple handfuls of whatever fruit you have on hand, a slug or so of Grand Marnier (if you're feeling extra boozy, a splash of orange juice if you're not), and top it all with some soda water.  Pour over ice ,enjoy with friends and a giant plate of smokey, seafood-y paella, and revel in summer.


Grilled Lobster Paella from Bon Appetit

Comments

Shawnie said…
That's how I felt with the peach cobbler recipe. I have yet to use my paella pan that we were given as a wedding present 5 years ago! I am now inspired to make this recipe... if only I can find the pan. What pans did you use, btw/
I used a 12in cast iron pan I inherited from my grandma, and a 14in stainless steel skillet I bought at Kroger. The stainless steel wasn't great...didn't really hold the heat/help develop a crust the way I would have liked....
Anonymous said…
I haven't tried paella, but Everybody have recommend it to me. Even people on 4rx complaints. so I will look for a restaurant to try it out.

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Basil Shrub (aka, the Drinking Vinegar Craze)

Buffalo on the Ceiling, Pancakes on the Floor

A Boozy Dinner with The Pioneer Woman