Glancing Back, Looking Forward, and Still Hungry

The Ham Sandwich and Grandma Nana at Christmas--would you believe Grandma's 89?--The Ham Sandwich is clearly blessed with some good genetics.


It's the first week of January--so of course, the Ham Sandwich (along with every other yahoo on the Internets) is starting off the year with some sort of reflective piece about the changeover.

Looking back, 2010 was pretty eventful. The year started with the ending of one relationship, but ended with the beginning of a new one. In the middle, I ran my best time in the Columbus Half Marathon, continued my quest to create delicious pickles, and ate--OK, drank--the hottest pepper in the world (well, until this came along). I visited (and ate delicious food with) friends and loved ones in Boston, Philadelphia, and Petoskey, Michigan, made enough baked goods to single-handedly keep King Arthur Flour in business, and brewed my first batch of beer.

As for 2011, it's shaping up to be pretty spectacular. I'm headed to Nepal in March to visit a dear friend from grad school and check out how Kathmandu has changed since I was last there in 2002/2003. I'm already excited for my CSA with Wayward Seed, and am looking forward to trying some new recipes with the beautiful produce they provide. Chances are good to excellent that I'll be running the Cleveland Half Marathon in May, which is a shock to me...I told myself I was done with distance running after the last race...just goes to show you that things (and mindsets) can always change!

I'm not great with keeping resolutions (cue the 5K-a-Month resolution from 2009), but there are things that I'm going to try to keep doing/do more of in 2011. My list thus far:
  • Continue to visit the gym/workout on a regular basis--I like the fact that I have to buy new clothes because my old stuff is too big. (But hate the fact that I have to buy new clothes!)...And along those lines, try to run Cleveland a little faster than Columbus.
  • Make eating locally and sustainably an even greater part of my life--having a CSA gets me halfway there, but I'd like to add to it by joining a meat CSA of some form...and locally sourced butter and flour would be awesome.
  • Make more beer and learn to make pretzels--the good, thick, German kind--I think they'd go well with the beer.
  • Hit up more of the local restaurants--it pains me to admit it, but I've yet to have a meal at Sage, L'Antibes, and Alana's...and it's been ages since I've been back to Black Creek Bistro.
  • Write more often--and start translating my paternal grandmother's cookbook (it's in German and the metric system and handwritten)--should be a hell of a project.
  • Strive to be a better family member, friend, girlfriend, and coworker...because while I think I do a pretty good job as it is, I suppose there's always room for improvement.
Here's to a fun-filled year; I look forward to sharing 2011 and all it offers with all of you!

Comments

Ashley said…
Hey, not all of us are yahoos! :) By the way, your apple tart looks delish! Happy New Year, hombizo! (that's my word verification, lol)
Ash--Happy New Year to you! And no, you're not a yahoo! I've been loving your posts--the skiing video was great!
FCH said…
Love the concept of sweet quinoa oatmeal, thanks for the tip !

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Basil Shrub (aka, the Drinking Vinegar Craze)

Buffalo on the Ceiling, Pancakes on the Floor

A Boozy Dinner with The Pioneer Woman