A Love Letter

Dear Nopa,

Hi. So, it's been just over a week since we last met, and I'm still thinking about you. In fact, I think about you almost daily. I realize that we've only had our one date, but I really think we (well, you) have something special.

I knew that our relationship was off to a good start when I called and made reservations a couple of weeks before our date. Your hostess was incredibly nice when we spoke on the phone--I didn't get that "oh, you're not from around here" attitude that you sometimes get from fancy restaurants when they realize you have a non-local phone number and are not famous/powerful/a restaurant critic. She even said she'd do what she could to get us in at the Chef's Table--four seats right there in front of the kitchen, in the middle of the action.

When D and I arrived for our date, Nopa, it was immediately clear that you were the coolest kid on the block; your suitors were literally coming out the door. Never mind that, however, when I told your hostess we were there--a good half hour early--she seemed thrilled to see us, confirmed our request for the Chef's Table and told us that she could probably get us in sooner than our actual reserved time.

At your long, shiny bar, we admired your extensive collection of micro-distilled liquors, homemade bitters, and three bartenders, all making their drinks with a dedication and passion normally only seen in NFL Fantasy Football fans. Your bar area was packed with admirers, all enthusing over your handcrafted cocktails, yet the Brown Label Shrub that I ordered came back quickly and perfectly--a tart, tangy, pear flavored aperitif served in a champagne flute. Just as D and I finished our first cocktails, your smiling hostess appeared, indicating that not only was our table ready 10 minutes early, but we DID have seats at the Chef's Table...our first date was going even better than expected!

Sitting down at the glass fronted bar seats that overlooked a calm, efficient kitchen, we perused your menu, almost every ingredient sourced from the San Fransisco Bay area...the famous pork chop, about which we had heard nothing but rave reviews; a home made tagliatelle pasta; the burger, made with grass fed, locally raised meat; and a roast chicken, that we watched turn golden on the giant rotisserie directly in front of us.

D and I were seated directly to the right of your expo station, where, we eventually discovered, your chef was finalizing each plate as it came out of the kitchen. He offered us an amuse bouche of an almond butter and persimmon spread crostini lightly sprinkled with Maldon sea salt...Sweet, creamy, and salty in one delightful bite...are you always this generous on your first date? We chatted with your chef, Lawrence, who while keeping a close eye on everything going on in front of him, still made us feel welcome, like we were regulars that he had known for years. We started with your flatbread, I picked the tagliatelle with homemade fennel sausage. We had discussed trying the gigante beans with tomato and feta, but feared it would be too much. Much too our surprise and delight, what appeared just before our flatbread appetizer but a complementary dish of those same beans. "On the house," was all your chef said with a smile. Oh, Nopa...you flirt, you!

By the time our entrees arrived, you had me completely under your spell, and with that first bite of tender, creamy pasta and spicy sausage, I vowed that our first date would not be our last. A bite of your pork chop--two and a half inches thick, barely pink in the middle, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious, and I was ready to devote myself to you. Could I sweep your floors? Scrub your potatoes? Cut your lemons for the bar?

My only regret is that we had to part ways, and I don't know when I'll see you next. They say that long distance relationships do not always work out, but I'm still dreaming of those creamy, tomato-y beans with their crust of toasted breadcrumbs, and I know that we'll beat the odds and see each other again soon.

In the meantime, I wish you all the best, and remain,

Your Ham Sandwich


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Basil Shrub (aka, the Drinking Vinegar Craze)

Buffalo on the Ceiling, Pancakes on the Floor

A Boozy Dinner with The Pioneer Woman