ChiliFest 2008


So, this past weekend marked the 4th happening of my annual chili cook-off. The parental units were once again kind enough to offer up not only their lovely home, but also sprang for the rental of a giant TV. While Ohio State decimated Northwestern, guests and competitors sampled and judged 8 different--and very creative--chilies. The prizes this year were spices from Penzey's, with the first place winner--a spicy sweet number made with homegrown hot peppers--winning a 4 pack of assorted chili powders and a bottle of wine. Second place was a smokey chipotle chili made with chorizo and London broil, and third place was the "Don't Mess with Texas" chili made with beef shoulder. Yum. And I should note--I'll do a future post of the various entries if I'm able to get the competitors to share them. (I just did my standard Beef and Chocolate Chili from Tyler Florence--It's so delicious, I've not been able to find a way to improve upon it.)

A fire in the fire pit, cornhole, and some live musical entertainment (see below), rounded out the festivities and made for a great day. Thanks to all who came and ate, we'll see you next year!

Ella, Alex, and Calvin rock out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Basil Shrub (aka, the Drinking Vinegar Craze)

Buffalo on the Ceiling, Pancakes on the Floor

A Boozy Dinner with The Pioneer Woman